The April 2017-March 2019 Starter Company Plus program has ended.
A new Starter Company Plus program for 2019/2020, will take place in the fall of 2019, but applications are suspended at the moment (overview and details of the program may change- we hope that details will be posted mid July).
Starter Company Plus Program Guidelines
You are eligible for Starter Company Plus if you are:
- Over 18 years of age and not attending school full time
- Operating a business, proposing a new business, expanding or purchasing a business
- A Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Ontario
- Prepared to commit a minimum of 35 hours per week to operating your business
- Prepared to attend mentor meetings for six months after the start of your business
- Prepared to take part in identified Business Training
- Not already a participant in other programs such as Self Employment Assistance
- A existing business under 5 years of age
- A business that employs 10 or less employees.
Almost any type of business is eligible, as long as it is:
- A sole proprietorship or a corporation where the applicant is the majority shareholder
- An independent business venture – not a franchise
- Operates at arm’s length from any family business ventures in Ontario
- Operates full-time and maintains its own books and records
- Maintains a separate business bank account, following government rules and regulations for operating a business
Businesses not eligible for Starter Company Plus include:
- Partnerships that are 50% shared, franchises, commissioned sale or distributorships
- Business ventures that are continuations of existing commercial endeavours
- Not -for-profit or charitable enterprises
- Multi-level marketing ventures
- Single events such as musical ventures, bands, DJ’s or dance/party event organizations
- Businesses that are strictly pay per click and 1-900 businesses
For Successful completion you must:
- Participate in the training and coaching program
- Meet with the business mentor for the duration of the program
- Substantially meet your business plan objectives
Note: The Small Business Advisory Centre Smiths Falls/Lanark County, may at its sole discretion, determine a particular business is inappropriate for the Starter Company Plus program.
For more info on Starter Company Plus contact us at:
613-283-7002 x 109