Register Your Business
Who must register?
- Sole proprietorship (one owner) carrying on business under a name other than the individual’s full name;
- Partnerships carrying on business under a firm name other than the full names of the partner
Corporations carrying on business under a name other than their corporate name;
- An existing general partnership or limited partnership registering a business name different from the registered firm name;
- Limited liability partnerships;
- Extra-provincial limited liability partnerships; and
- Extra-provincial limited liability companies
Fee for Registration
- Through Service Ontario Online $60 to register plus $8 for a Business Name search. You will need to pay for the registration and search by credit card, both online or at our offices. The closest Service Ontario offices that accept a debit payment are Brockville, Kemptville and the main level of Ottawa City Hall, 110 Laurier Avenue West.
If you are registering your business online, or planning on coming to the centre to do so, a credit card will be required for payment. You will also need access to a printer to print the Receipt, Summary Registration, Profile Summary, Master Business License and/or the Enhanced Business Name Report.
Your BIN (Business Identification Number) should not be confused with the federal Business Number (BN) assigned by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for federal programs, including Goods and Services Tax/Harmonized Sales Tax (GST/HST), Import/Export Accounts, Payroll Deductions and Corporate Income Tax. For more information regarding the federal Business Number, visit the CRA website.